On Tuesday, 11th September 2018, forty four RTAI members & friends enjoyed a thoroughly memorable visit to Camden Fort Meagher.
The fort is situated on 45 acres, 65% of which is underground. Camden Fort Meagher was occupied by British Forces until 11/7/1938 when it was handed over to the Irish Defence Forces. In 1989 it was handed over to Cork County Council and for over 2 decades it remained closed and fell into disrepair. Members of Crosshaven community formed a “Rescue Camden” group and, as a result of trojan work, the fort opened to the public in September 2010. Extensive restoration works are ongoing.
As we experienced for ourselves, Camden Fort Meagher’s location is spectacular. Situated at the mouth of Cork Harbour it overlooks, for example, Roches Point Lighthouse, Fort Carlisle/Davis, Spike Island and Fort Mitchel, Whitegate Oil Refinery, the Great Island of Cobh and St. Coleman’s Cathedral.
Some of the highlights of our visit included:
The magazine, with vaulted ceiling, which stored munitions and gunpowder
The hand-cut granite spiral stairway which offered soldiers rapid access to the adjacent magazine
The majestic Monterey Cypress planted by British soldiers prior to their departure to fight in the Crimean War (1853)
The exhibition rooms, packed with memorabilia and information
The knowledge and enthusiasm of our four amazing guides/volunteers which was truly inspiring.
We retreated to the tea rooms where we were treated royally. To cap it all, the sun shone and we enjoyed tea/coffee and dessert on the outdoor decking while enjoying panoramic views of Cork Harbour.
What a day!
Míle buíochas to the RTAI for subsidising the day’s outing. Thanks to James Doolan and Elizabeth O’Connell for the selection of photos. And special thanks to Seán McCarthy for his help on the day. P.C.