The summer meeting of our branch was held at Oriel House on Saturday June 11th 2016.
Our Choir opened the proceedings with a beautiful rendition of “How can I keep from Singing” and the ever-popular “Song for Ireland”. (The Choir is now on summer break, and will be welcoming new members in September).
About 120 members were present at the meeting. We are grateful to INTO Districts 12 and 16 for subsidising the cost of the wonderful meal. We welcomed Mr. John Driscoll CEC rep District 12, Ms. Emma Dineen, past President INTO and Ms. Kathleen Lowney, acting Chairperson District 12.
The meeting was addressed by Mr. Billy Sheehan, President of RTAI.
The most recent Comhnasc has news in relation to many pertinent issues. Billy brought us up to date on these and other issues.
- A summary of the points addressed by Billy is given below:
Public Sector Pension Reduction – restoration scales up to and including 2018.
RETIRED BEFORE MARCH 2012 – PENSION UNDER €34,132
- From 1-1-2017 €26,000 exempt from PSPR
- From 1-1-2018 €34,132 exempt from PSPR
RETIRED BEFORE MARCH 2012 – PENSION OVER €34,132
- There will be a reduction in the amount of PSPR to be paid.
RETIRED SINCE 1 MARCH 2012 – PENSION UNDER €32,250
RETIRED SINCE 1 MARCH 2012 – PENSION OVER €32,500
- PSPR payable since July 2013
- 1 January 2018 – nil payable
PLEASE CHECK YOUR OWN SITUATION WITH D.E.S. OR RTAI HEAD OFFICE, AS THIS IS A GENERAL RECAP OF THE FIGURES GIVEN.
- Since 29th April 2016 all those teaching in schools must be vetted by the National Vetting Bureau. A declaration that vetting is pending will no longer suffice.
- Teaching Council website
- For volunteer work Circular 63/2010 still applies.
- VHI DEDUCTIONS – it is essential to complete and return the authorisation form for deduction at source. From January 1st 2017 the DES will only continue deductions for those retirees who have signed the Authorisation form.
- MED 1 form for 2015. If you were refunded less than you expected for 2015, this could be because 2015 had a FORTNIGHT 27 in the tax year. If this applies to you, you should contact the Revenue Office telling them that Fortnigt 27 applies in your case. (This occurs in a year when the 1st of January and 31st December fall on a Thursday).
- Pension parity/Peer Link. The RTAI and INTO continue to fight for the payment of the benchmark award to Principals and Deputy Principals.
- The legal status of the Association needs to be established. This is being undertaken at present.
- A Solidarity Fund has been established by the Association.
- A survey of members in relation to Comhnasc is being undertaken.
- The RTAIreland website is due to be reconstructed, following the survey of members.
Pictured at the summer meeting in Oriel House
Front Row L-R: Clare Bradley (Treasurer), Kathleen Lowney (D12), Marie Dennehy (Secretary), Billy Sheehan (General Secretary) Velda Ó Brádaigh (Cathaoirleach), Emma Dineen (outgoing President INTO), John Driscoll (CEC, D12).
Back row L-R: Committee members, Pádraig Ó Conaill, Derry Keogh, Mags McCarthy, Marian O’Callaghan, Frank Tobin, Seán Radley. (Photo: Bridie O’ Brien).